Housed in the College of Arts and Sciences, the center will support academic initiatives, artistic efforts and public programming guided by a transdisciplinary framework which explores the engagements, worldviews and influences of African peoples on worldwide social, cultural, economic, health and political systems.
Through these endeavors, the center will be a leader and catalyst for discourse on diversity to advance the research, teaching and outreach vision of Georgia State and to positively affect future generations so peoples of the African diaspora, as well as scholars in African Diasporic studies, can become equitable partners in building a more just and principled society worldwide.
The Center Will:
- Foster research and expressive work.
- Support innovative scholarship and sponsor fellowships.
- Facilitate critical and solution-oriented dialogue.
- Support visiting scholars and advance policy contributions targeting issues of the African Diaspora across the university and beyond.
- Convene partners and disseminate proceedings through exhibits, symposia, lectures, conferences, performances, curation, publications and other programming in alignment with its mission.
- Engage community and global partnerships to facilitate initiatives on the history and cultural contributions of the African diaspora globally.
- Serve as a hub for promoting the discipline of Africana Studies locally, regionally and nationally while positioning Georgia State leadership in the related global dialogue.
The Global Alignment
The mission of the CSAD is aligned with the United Nations sustainability development goals.
Quality education - Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
Promote decent work and economic growth.
Promote peace, justice and strong institutions.
Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize global partnerships to achieve the sustainability development goals.
Center for Studies on Africa and its Diaspora
College of Arts & Sciences
P.O. Box 4038
Atlanta, GA 30302-4038